10.29.2008

Not Enough Hatred


One of the most unsettling aspects of Sunday's loss was the number of Giants fans in attendance at Heinz. I would attribute this to their being one of the more proximal non-division opponents and their fans having a decent amount of marginal income to spend on tickets (at least more than, say, Buffaloians SP?). One such individual was seated next to me and proceeded to lay claim to the title of "Single Most Obnoxious Fan I Have Ever Encountered." I hope his genitals rot off.

Which brings me to Reason #738 why the NFL is the best sports league ever: Hatred.

Unlike many leagues, there is always a reason to root for one of the two teams playing to fucking decimate the other. Regardless of the two teams playing, one is a better conduit for your hatred than the other. Even better, each season brings new reasons to despise, case in point: I didn't give a hefty shit about the Seahawks before they started with all their whining after Super Bowl, now I take pleasure in watching Mike Holmgren's slow decent into football hell in the "Emerald City". Before Sunday, I would venture to guess that most Steelers fans would list the NY Giants in thee bottom 1/3 or even 1/4 of their personal "List of Loathing". Yes, Eli and Ben are the source of an overblown, media-contrived "rivalry", but aside from this, what reason did we have to abhor the Giants? Consider:

We never play them
They knocked off the Patriots last year
They play in a division with the Cowboys (and 'skins)

THIS must be the cause of so many fans' ambivilance and their selling tickets to assholes from the cesspool that is New York/New Jersey. THIS is why I witnessed an audible "Here we go Giants" chant in the 4th quarter for the first time ever by an opponent fan base. And THAT is now why the Giants are making a rapid ascent up my personal hatred list.

I'm curious, what does your "Loathing List" look like? (Personally, the Ravens can get fucked at the pole position on mine)
Leave'em in the comments...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

ravens, browns, patriots (cheaters), any team with brett favre and the redskins.

Mosh Pitt said...

Browns, Ravens, Pats. Thought about putting the Ravens#1 until I remembered getting a (plastic) beer bottle thrown off my head and called a F'ing asshole in Cleveland last year. I asked him "if he blows his dad with that mouth?" which was enough to have his friend throw another bottle... so...yeah, I hate Cleveland.

Christmas Ape said...

Ravens, Patriots, Browns, Redskins (That's what happens when you grow up in their market)

tiny350Z said...

Ravens (their fans booed me at my work's orientation), Browns, Pats, and yes, Redskins (I'm surrounded by them daily.)

Dixie Normess said...

Baltimore is the ONE city that should know better than to steal a team. unforgivable.

Spatula said...

Browns, Ravens, Titans. Browns and Ravens for obvious reasons. Titans because you know that asshole, Jeff Fisher, told his player to try to paralyze Maddox and because I send my kids to a Catholic school and they chose "Titans" as their mascot. Yes, they chose the name of a bunch of pagan gods for their team name -- idiots.

The Mayor of FedEx Field said...

Eagles, Cowboys, Ravens, Lions and Steelers.

The first are obvious (divison rivals).

Baltimore because we all agree their fans are idoits, and probably switched fandom when the team moved from Cleveland.

The last 2 because growing up, 2 of my older friends I hung out with would proclaim how great their respective teams were.

The Steeler fan had room to talk, but the Lions fan?

Dixie Normess said...

I enjoy that you misspelled "idiots"

Anonymous said...

Fuck the Ravens. Fuck the Bengals. And fuck the fucking Patriots.

Fred Jones said...

Loathing List-Pats and Ravens--tie for first, Bruce Arians, then Jags, Bengals, Browns, and Jets.

Pats and Division foes are obvious, Jags for always having the Steelers number(until this year), Jets solely because of one family of Jets fans that live near me that I wish would die of ebola because they are such obnoxious Jersey stereotypes. And Arians for single handedly giving me high blood pressure every weekend.

BeaniesBigToe said...

Living in Boston, my ranking is skewed (thanks all you facking Tawmees, you can go get facked):

Patsies (may you never win another fucking game you fucking cheats), Ravens, Clowns, Cowboys, Shehawks, Buzzsaw

Hooks Orpik said...

Different levels of loathing...

Gotta have Ravens, Brownies and Patsys in the top level of hate. Fuck them and everything they stand for.

Then the middle level would be the annoyances of the Jiggywires and Cowboys

Then you got your cute little irrelevant side teams like the Bungles and Redskins, teams that would be up a level or two if they weren't so poor on the field over the past 5-10 years.

Pubic Enemy said...

Loathing List by Tier (Bears Fan)

Shit Tier: Vikings, Packers, Cowboys, Colts

Vikings because their fans are obnoxious, plus they were "Super Bowl favorites." Yeah...how's that one turning out?

Packers because of the historic rivalry, and those motherfuckers look to have two franchise quarterbacks in row.

Cowboys because Jerry Jones is giant bag of douche.

Colts because a lot of them are former Bear "fans" from Indiana who turncoated when the Colts came to town. Most Colts fans I've met are fairweather and think they're the best. Not to mention that whole Super Bowl thing...


The rest of the league I could really care less about, and I just pity the Lions' fans.

matt said...

Ravens, Pats, Cowboys, Browns, Bengals, & Eagles (Eagles simply b/c I attended the game Sept 21st -worst, most classless fans I've ever encountered)

Anonymous said...

mayor of fed ex field: you will be found & taunted.

Vern said...

"Do you blow your dad with that mouth" may be the greatest comeback ever. I may steal that at some point in the future.

Farva said...

Something I've learned about the NFL:

Every teams Fanbase are nothing but a bunch of douchebags. No exceptions.

Courthouse Metro said...

Cowboys and Redskins are in their own special category of hate. After that comes Patriots (so easy), Colts, Browns (it's tradition), Ravens (a new and better tradition), Raiders (a dying tradition), and Saints (someone's got to have a hate-on for them).

The Giants have obnoxious fans -- they play in the New York area, after all -- but after last year's Super Bowl, and with the subtraction of Jeremy Shockey, it's hard to work up a hate for them. Sorry.

Cornbread said...

97 Broncos
04 Patriots (Oh 04 Patriots, how I despise your ass)

Bill Parcells and Charlie Weiss

Anonymous said...

God Damned Dallas, Fucking Dallas and then everybody in the AFC north except for the smash mouth football playing Steelers!!! We live in Oklahoma and my kids like it when I stop in henryetta to spit on the town that produced troy aikman. I hear he runs a gay whore house where you can ass fuck him on sundays when everybody else is watching football.