1.22.2009

LeBeau's Legacy


Lets start this piece by asking you a question of the utmost importance: Why do old people smell? It’s a particular odor, too. You know what I’m talking about. It permeates “Retirement Villages,” Grandma’s houses and Bingo halls everywhere. It’s a mixture of moth ball, Brylcreem, stuffiness and bagged-ass.

You know who I bet doesn’t smell old? Dick LeBeau. In fact, I bet ol’ Dick could still lay a few guys out if he decided to strap on the pads. Unlike many septuagenarians who are playing shuffleboard, gumming succotash or just fucking DEAD, LeBeau’s mind is razor sharp. So sharp, in fact that, he has again refined the art of NFL Defensive scheming. The author of the zone blitz, LeBeau had a distinguished career as a d-back before revolutionizing the game he loves so from the sidelines. Indeed, Dick didn’t fair as well in the headcoaching sector. Many would point to this as a slight negative , personally I’m glad as hell we have him and the fact that he (unlike certain Baltimore D Coordinators) isn’t looking on to greener pastures is fan-fucking-tastic. Incidentaly, I ran into Dick three weeks ago at Dunkin Donuts (you wouldn't catch him within 5 miles of a Starbucks) and he saw my apparel and approached me, asked about the games that day and if I'd caught the mess the Ravens had made of the Dolphins. I wasn't able to muster much other than a "uhuh" at first. But after ordering my 2 jelly-filleds and IV of joe, I was able to ask him what he thought of the game to which he responded, "They look tough. All the teams look tough. The Playoffs are the reward for a good season and it's just more tough work. But it's great."

FUCKIN'A, Mr. LeBeau.

This guy loves football. He eats, sleeps and breathes it. So much so that he approaches random idiots and starts convos about it. THAT is the kind of man I want leading my defense into battle. And so he has for the last 5 seasons for us, and 6 in a previous tour of duty.

Much has and will continue to be made about the coaching matchups headed into SB43, but make no mistake: LeBeau will have the utmost impact from the sidelines. Although an absolutely hollow award: Pro Football Weekly’s “Assistant of the Year” was recently bestowed on Dick, as far as I’m concerned just further cause to pause and raise one to the wizard behind the Curtain of Steel.

10 comments:

QuickGoat said...

It's a sin he's not in the Hall of Fame.

Dixie Normess said...

I agree. With all of the noise being made about Warner's candidacy, you'd think some one would mention LeBeau's. My guess is he'll one day get a bust at Canton, however.

tbone said...

The guy was a bad ass DB..and has the utmost respect of his players...the HOF is for people who change and reform the game in a positive way & he's damn sure did that on the field and on the sidelines...He did try the greener pastures thing..led him to the shitfarm that is the Bungles but we'll give him that as a mulligan.

Mav said...

Great post.

I'm incredibly jealous that you got to meet the man!! Which Dunkin Donuts was it (also, love how he doesn't go to Starfucks).

I hope to meet this guy some day. I'm a huge fan, in fact, for every Steelers game, I don a Detroit Lions 44 LEBEAU jersey. I love defense, and he does nothing but add to my affection for it.

(where else do men pine over such things? If only I were into woo'in girls as much as I am suffocating defense... there'll be plenty of time for that after Feb 1st)

matt said...

Gotta echo Mav's statement's...

Lucky bastard. Playoff tix & meeting LeBeau?! Nice couple weeks you've had there Ape!

Anonymous said...

2 writers on the site, bro - Ape & Dixie.



That, said - a lucky bastard are you!

Anonymous said...

profootball talk is spreading a terrible rumor that the 71-year old might be retiring this year.

i think it's a load of crap that someone is spilling to try to create controversy for the non-controversial steelers...

Dixie Normess said...

no worries on the cred: enough to go around. Besides, Ape WAS at the first rounder...saw him slammin' Irns.

I wouldn't buy the retirement talk, at least not until I hear it from LeBeau personally. I mean, he's 71, the time to hang'em up would've passed long ago if he bought into that stuff. Guys like him don't slow down, they need something to drive them.

Anonymous said...

i would agree with dixie, except that i remember when dick hoak retired, i had said the same arguments...

lebeau is 2 years older than hoak right now. i sure hope he sticks around for another couple of years, at least long enough to get butler ready to take over.

matt said...

My bad Dixie...and Anon.