1.31.2009

Woodson Goes to the Hall; Dawson Falls Short

As was expected, Rod Woodson was elected to the Hall of Fame today. Hot Rod played 10 years with the Steelers, snagging 38 of his third all-time 71 career interceptions with the team. I met him over the summer and told him I obviously killed me that he got his only ring with the Ratbirds and asked him what team he would go into the Hall with if he got elected (which I thought you had to do). He said though he would definitely go in as a Steeler.

His was also the first Steelers jersey I owned. It killed me when he went down with a torn ACL in Week 1 of the '95 season, but his was the first great recovery from that injury (he was able to play sparingly in Super Bowl XXX) before it became more commonplace for players to rebound quickly from it. The team gave him a bit of a raw deal following the '96 season. It was clear he didn't have the speed to still be a dominant corner but he still made the transition to a top-flight safety for the rest of his career.

1 comment:

johnny said...

Congrats to Mr. Woodson, one of my earliest Pittsburgh sports heroes. Time to win this thing. Everyone enjoy the game. Go Steelers!